The College of Architecture, Design and Construction began in 1907 as a curriculum in architecture in the Civil Engineering Department. The Department of Architecture was established in the School of Engineering in 1912. In 1927, the School of Architecture and Applied Arts was formed. A distinctive achievement of Auburn’s architecture program was the graduation of several women as early as the 1920s.
A program in Industrial Design was established in the Art Department in the 1930s. Landscape Architecture and Interior Design programs created in the 1930s became part of the Architecture Department, as did the new program in Building Construction in 1942. In 1996, the school became the College of Architecture, Design and Construction (CADC). The Graphic Design program joined CADC and the Department of Industrial Design in 2007, and the department became the School of Industrial and Graphic Design in 2013.
Our programs rank among the nation’s best:
- DesignIntelligence ranks our Architecture and Industrial Design programs in the top 10 degree programs in their fields nationally
- The Graphic Design program is annually recognized as a top US design school by GDUSA
- Rural Studio, the first program of its kind, has received widespread international acclaim for its work on sustainable and economically accessible architecture
Today, more than 1,500 students are enrolled in CADC’s highly regarded graduate and undergraduate programs.