Biggin-Woltosz House Dedication
September 5, 2019
The historic home of the School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape Architecture’s first Dean, Frederick Child Biggin, is once again serving Architecture students and faculty thanks to the generosity of Auburn engineering alumnus Walt Woltosz ’69 and his wife Ginger.
Auburn University President Jay Gogue and CADC Dean Vini Nathan presented the Woltoszes with the Auburn Board of Trustees resolution to officially name the house the Biggin-Woltosz House in celebration of their landmark generosity at a dedication ceremony held September 5th.
The Woltoszes originally bought the Dutch Colonial Revival, which is on the historic register, as a gameday house and decided to gift the house to the School of Architecture when they realized the architect and original owner of the home was Auburn’s first dean of Architecture, or Architecture and Applied Arts as it was known in 1927. Walt Woltosz is a member of the Auburn University Foundation Board, and has served on the Ginn College of Engineering’s Alumni Engineering Council, the Auburn University Research Advisory Board, and he is a life member of the Auburn Alumni Association.
The Biggin-Woltosz House, which was opened to APLA in April, has hosted numerous faculty meetings, classes and seminars and an exhibit of the 20K project: The Front Porch Initiative. Plans for use include meeting space for grant partners, research faculty and interdisciplinary teams. Fewer than five of the country’s architecture programs have a facility of this caliber.
All Photos: copyright Emily Jane Creative 2019